PICTURED: Man appears in court after London station ‘TERROR attack’ stabbing

Leytonstone-624719

Muhaydin Mire, 29, appeared in front of Westminster Magistrates’ Court today

A MAN accused of trying to murder a Tube passenger at a London station this weekend will be put in front of the UK’s top criminal judges this week after he was accused of attempted murder as British counter-terror command investigates the knife attack.

Muhaydin Mire, 29, of Sansom Road, Leytonstone, was told today he will appear in front of the Old Bailey on Friday after he was accused of the attempted murder of a 56-year-old man on Saturday.

He will remain remanded in custody.

Two men were attacked at the station by a man who allegedly declared “This is for Syria”.

Police have increased patrols at transport hubs to “identify and deter terrorism” after the incident at the station in east London.

leytonstone pool of blood Capture

The 56-year-old man was left with “serious” stab wounds and another person was injured.

A third victim, a 56-year-old musician, was badly wounded as he bore the brunt of the attack. Witnesses described how the attacker punched and kicked the man as they both walked up the stairs at the station before cutting at his throat.

The knifeman was Tasered by police and arrested just before 7.15pm, Scotland Yard said.

The 56-year-old was taken to hospital as a priority and treated for stab wounds, officials said. His condition was later described as non-life threatening.

Westminster Magistrates Court

The man allegedly declared “This is for Syria”.

Graphic footage of the attacks posted online soon after the incident showed a large pool of blood spattered on the station floor.

The video appeared to show the attacker wildly gesticulating and confronting several people in the station, before slashing a man in the throat area.

man in police van

The suspect was taken to court in a police van as he was remanded in custody

Assistant Chief Constable Mark Newton of British Transport Police said: “The safety of the travelling public remains our top priority. In addition to our usual specialist response teams, last week we launched Project Servator, deploying even more highly-visible police patrols designed to identify and deter terrorism.

“Following Saturday’s incident, we are now deploying still more officers in this role. They involve both uniformed and plain-clothed officers, supported by other resources, such as armed officers, police dogs, a network of CCTV cameras, and the thousands of rail staff we work alongside.

“We ask the public to remain calm and carry on using public transport as normal.”

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s