Tunisia attack: National minute’s silence for UK victims

one minutes silence tunisia imagebot

A national minute’s silence will be held to remember those who have lost their lives in the Tunisian beach attack, David Cameron has announced.

The silence will take place on Friday 3 July at 12:00 BST, a week after the shooting which killed 38 people.

The official UK death toll stands at 18, but it is expected to rise to around 30, the BBC understands.

All Britons injured in killing will be returned to the UK within 24 hours, Downing Street has said.


MPs stood and bowed their heads for the minute’s silence

In a speech to the Commons, following a minute’s silence held by MPs, the prime minister described the attack as “brutal and sickening”.

He confirmed the gunman was thought to have been part of Islamic State’s (IS) “inspired network”.

He also said there was a team of British consular staff on the ground within hours of the attack, and a team of 50 people were currently in Tunisia helping British victims and their families.

With the number of Britons killed in the Tunisian attack expected to rise, here is a breakdown of what we know so far about those who have died, and the missing and injured:

Tunisia attack: What we know about the British victims

Carly Lovett


Carly Lovett was a 24-year-old beauty blogger and photographer from Gainsborough in Lincolnshire.

She was a graduate of Lincoln University, and according to reports in the local press worked for an e-commerce company called Fizzco Ltd in Fillingham near Gainsborough.

The University of Lincoln’s school of film and media tweeted: “Saddened to hear news reports of Carly Lovett in Tunisia – Graduate of our University 2013.”

According to the Daily Mirror, she was killed by a grenade during the attack.

Local MP Sir Edward Leigh expressed his “shock and sorrow” and offered condolences to Miss Lovett’s family.


Patrick Evans, Adrian Evans and Joel Richards

(L-R) Adrian Evans, Patrick Evans and Joel Richards were all fans of Walsall FC

Three members of the same family were killed in the attack.

Adrian Evans, 44, from Tipton, West Midlands, died along with his father, 78-year-old Patrick Evans, and nephew Joel Richards, 19, from Wednesbury.

Adrian Evans worked for Sandwell Council in Oldbury as a manager in the gas services department.

Council leader Darren Cooper said: “Adrian Evans was a very popular and long-serving employee.

“We are absolutely devastated for Adrian’s family, friends and colleagues and our thoughts are with them and all those affected by this tragedy.”

Mahoob Hussain, who worked with him, said: “I had a number of phone calls from the staff who worked for him, crying because it was his first day on holiday.

“My understanding is it was his first day – and suddenly the next thing the colleagues found out what happened in Tunisia and they were all in tears.”

Joel was a local football referee and a student at the University of Worcester.

Chad Ehlertsen, chief executive of Birmingham County Football Association, said: “He was just a leader of young people; a good organiser, a good communicator and an extremely talented young referee.”

The University of Worcester’s vice-chancellor and chief executive, Professor David Green, said: “At Worcester Joel has shown himself to be a highly intelligent, talented young man and an all-round outstanding person with a truly bright future ahead.

“Since joining the university, he has become very popular with his fellow students, team mates and with the many staff that have taught him throughout his time with us.”

Walsall FC said the men were all fans of the club and that their thoughts were with their family.

Fellow fans showed their support by laying scarves outside the main entrance of the stadium on Monday morning.


Sue Davey and Scott Chalkley


Ms Davey’s son Conor Fulford, from Tamworth in Staffordshire, posted on Twitter on Saturday night to confirm his mother’s death. He had taken to Twitter in the wake of the attack urging others to help find her.

After confirming he had been told of her death, he wrote: “Love you always Mom, I’ve got my teddy bear you got me tonight, Rest easy xxxx”

Ms Davey’s daughter Chloe is the partner of Leicester City footballer Marc Albrighton. The football club offered support to the family, saying: “They are all in our thoughts and prayers.”

Mr Chalkley, 42, was Ms Davey’s partner.

His son, Ross Naylor, from Derby, had posted appeals on Twitter following the attack.

He confirmed his father’s death in the “sickening attacks”, posting: “I want to say thanks to everyone who has helped, you have all been amazing. One love to all and rest in peace dad.”

Severn Trent Water, for which Ms Davey and Mr Chalkley worked, said: “We are immensely saddened by the news about Sue and Scott. They were much loved by their colleagues.

“Sue and Scott had a passion to help others however they could, they cared enormously for all those they worked with and were totally committed to our customers and our company.

“We will miss them deeply. Both Sue and Scott have family and friends at Severn Trent. Our thoughts are with each of them and all those that hold them dear.”


Bruce Wilkinson

Bruce Wilkinson had visited Tunisia with his wife Rita before the attack

Mr Wilkinson, 72, from Goole, East Riding, was a retired worker at Drax power station. His family said he was “a kind and compassionate man with a dry sense of humour”.

In a statement, the family said: “We are devastated at the loss of Bruce, who was a devoted husband, father and grandfather.

“Bruce was a loving family man, and in his working life worked to support the care of others.

“He was fun-loving, and will be deeply missed by friends and family alike.”


Lisa Burbidge


Ms Burbidge, in her 60s, was from Whickham, Gateshead.

Her family released a statement saying: “We are devastated with the tragic loss of the most beautiful, amazing, caring and gentle person in our lives.

“We have been left with a massive hole in our hearts.”

They added that she had “four fantastic grandchildren who were her world and will miss her tremendously”.

One of her granddaughters, Chloe Thompson, left a tribute on the Newcastle Chronicle’s Facebook page, saying: “My angel, my best friend love you always grandma, rest in peace.”


Claire Windass


Claire Windass, 54, from Hull, was on holiday with her husband when the attack happened.

In a statement, her family said: “Claire was sunbathing on the beach with her husband Jim Windass, who miraculously managed to escape physically unharmed and has now returned to his home in Hull, where he is surrounded by family and friends at this emotionally difficult time for us all.”

They added: “She was a warm, kind-hearted woman who made friends easily and was loved by everyone who knew her. She will be deeply missed.”

Mrs Windass, who had two children and two step-children, lived in Scunthorpe for 35 years before moving to Hull in 2012 when she married Mr Windass.

Staff at North Lincolnshire Council, where she worked, were said to be “deeply saddened” by news of her death.

“Our thoughts are with her family at this time,” said Chris Skinner, the council’s head of communications.

“Claire worked at the council for 18 years; within the learning disability and intermediate care services.

“She was a popular and well-respected member of staff who will be greatly missed.”


Jim and Ann McQuire

Prayers have been said for Jim and Ann McQuire at their local church in Cumbernauld, Scotland

Jim and Ann McQuire are thought to have died in the shooting, a congregation at Abronhill Parish Church in Cumbernauld has been told.

The recently retired couple were heavily involved with the church, and prayers were said for them during Sunday’s service.

Mr McQuire had volunteered with the Boys’ Brigade locally. The 55th Edinburgh Boys’ Brigade and Girls’ Association has tweeted: “Really shocked to hear that Jim McQuire, BB officer with the 5th Cumbernauld and his wife Ann were killed in the Tunisia shootings. RIP.”

Mr McQuire had been due to attend a royal garden party at Edinburgh on his return from Tunisia.

His friend Andrew Eadie, who was preparing to attend the event with him, said: “I can’t make sense of it, I just can’t understand the logic of what they have done.”


Trudy Jones


Trudy Jones, 51, a care home worker from Blackwood in South Wales, has been named locally as one of those killed in the shooting.

Gwent Police said Ms Jones was a divorced single mother of four on holiday with friends.

Her family described her as their “beautiful mother” in a statement.

“Our mother of all people didn’t deserve this, such a caring person who put everyone else before herself,” they said.

“Always willing to help others, she loved everyone around her including all of the people she cared for at work. She’ll be missed by so many people. She was the rock of our family and kept us all going.

“None of us have a clue how we’re going to cope without her.”

The manager of the care home where she worked as an activity co-ordinator said residents and staff were in “terrible shock”.

Shawkat Ilahi said: “She was a very popular member of the team. She was like a bottle of pop, very lively and always smiling.”

Her MP, Chris Evans, said: “The reality of this horrific and brutal attack has now been brought home to our communities with the news that Trudy Jones is among those murdered.

“My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends at this difficult time.”


Stuart Cullen


Suffolk Police confirmed that Stuart Cullen, 52, from Lowestoft, was among those who died in the attack.

“Mr Cullen was believed to have died instantly and was with his wife at the time,” police said.

“Mrs Cullen received injuries during the incident but has been able to return home to Suffolk where she is being comforted by close family and Suffolk Police family liaison officers.”

Police said the couple had one adult daughter, Emma, and said the family were “truly grateful for the compassion afforded to them” since Mr Cullen’s death.


Stephen Mellor

Stephen Mellor, 59, from Bodmin in Cornwall, was killed as he attempted to shield his wife Cheryl, 55.

She told the BBC’s Orla Guerin that when the shooting started they huddled together saying “I love you”.

Mrs Mellor was left with gunshot wounds to her arm and leg and is being treated in hospital in Sousse.

Father Graham Minors, vicar of St Petroc’s Church in Bodmin, told BBC Radio Cornwall a candle had been lit for the couple on Sunday morning.

He said: “So many lives have been broken by all of this.”

Cheryl Mellor was shot twice



Britons are being treated at hospitals in Tunisia and in the UK.


Allison Heathcote


Allison Heathcote, 48, from Lowestoft, Suffolk, suffered five gunshot wounds and is in a critical condition in hospital in Sousse, her brother Simon Boon told the BBC.

She had surgery on Saturday and is now in an induced coma.

A doctor treating Mrs Heathcote told the BBC she cannot be moved due to her condition – so flying her back to the UK is not currently an option.

She was stretchered from the scene of the shooting on a sunbed, Mr Boon said. He added he had not received any information about his brother-in-law Philip Heathcote.


Tony and Christine Callaghan

Tony Callaghan and his wife Christine

Among the injured are Tony Callaghan, 52, and his wife Christine, 62, from Norfolk, who were on holiday.

Mr Callaghan, who was shot in the knee, is a member of staff at Norfolk police, working at North Walsham public enquiry office as a property officer. Christine was shot in the leg.

Their injuries have required hospital treatment but are not life-threatening.

BBC correspondent Mark Lowen met the couple in hospital and saw the bullet holes in Christine’s handbag.

Mr Callaghan with his wife’s handbag

Tom Richards, 22, has been interviewed by the Guardian. He said he came face-to-face with a gunman, and has picked up an ankle wound.


Matthew James

Matthew James and Saera Wilson travelled to Sousse on 21 June for a two-week break

Gas engineer Matthew James from Trehafod, near Pontypridd, was shot three times and used his body as a shield to protect his fiancee Saera Wilson, 26.

He is recovering having been hit on the shoulder, chest and hip.

The 30-year-old, who later suffered a heart attack, has since been returned to the UK and is now “stable and comfortable” in hospital.

His family said he was “doing well”.

His plight has touched fellow gas engineers, who launched a fund-raising drive in honour of the father-of-two while he recovers from his injuries.

Organiser Ian Spedding, 53, from Burnley, said donations had surpassed £6,300 in just a few hours.


Ross Thompson and Rebecca Smith

The couple, from Coventry, are recovering after receiving shrapnel injuries.

Mr Thompson told Sky News they fled and hid indoors when the attack started.

“We managed to get the room barricaded, got down low and just hid,” he said.

His girlfriend, with a dressing on her injured chin, said she got separated from her partner and hid in the staff toilets with another woman and her son.

“We locked ourselves in and hoped for the best,” she said.




People have been trying to find family and friends who may have been caught up in the attack.


John Welch and Eileen Swannack


Daniel Welch, from Swindon in Wiltshire, said his grandfather John Welch, 74, and his partner of eight years Eileen Swannack, 70, have not made contact since the attack.

Mr Welch is from Biddlestone and Ms Swannack is from Corsham, both in Wiltshire.

Daniel told the BBC: “You know that we’re going to get some sort of news at some point, whether it be today, tomorrow or the next day, and you know it’s probably not going to be great, because they haven’t been able to make contact themselves by now.”

The couple were staying at the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba, one of the hotels targeted by the gunman.


Angie and Ray Fisher


The couple are from Nottinghamshire.

Son Adam Fisher, from Redhill in Surrey, has not spoken to his parents since they left for their holiday.

He told the BBC he felt “powerless” over the situation.

“I’ve been in touch with the Foreign Office but they won’t give any information out… I don’t know what to do,” he said.


John and Janet Stocker


The couple are from Crawley.

Sam Stocker has launched an appeal to find his grandparents and has spoken to media outlets.

The hashtag #FindJohnStocker has been trending on Twitter.

He tweeted: “If you’re in #Tunisia #ImperialMaharba and you’ve seen this man, please let me know he’s safe. #FindJohnStocker”.


Denis and Elaine Thwaites


The family of the missing Blackpool couple had been told they were alive but injured and in a Tunisian hospital.

However, this has turned out to be wrong.

Son-in-law Daniel Clifford said: “We are now back to square one and fearing the worst.

“We are thinking of flying out there because we can’t get anything out of the Foreign Office.

“We just need to know. We are absolutely frantic.”


William and Lisa Graham


Married couple William Graham, 51, known as Billy, and Lisa Graham, 50, are from Perth in Scotland.

They were staying at the Imperial Hotel in Sousse, and hotel staff say their room still has their clothes and belongings in it.

The couple’s daughter Holly Graham said she was desperately worried and had struggled to find out what was happening from the tour operator and the Foreign Office.

“I’ve had friends phoning on my behalf because you can imagine I’m a little bit of an emotional wreck at the moment,” she said.

“Foreign Office – they just tell you that they’ve got no information, they’ll phone you when they do.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s