Pastor McConnell initially defended his remarks last May but, following a huge public outcry he apologised for any offence or distress caused.
Speaking to the News Letter yesterday, Pastor McConnell confirmed he will go to jail rather than back down.
“Oh yes. I believe I have been right in what I have been doing so I am not going to apologise,” he said. “I have apologised to the Muslim people because I don’t want to hurt people but as a preacher, even my own congregation when I am preaching…I hurt people…and you hurt people unconsciously.
“Okay, I said that the Muslim religion is Satanic and that it is spawned in Hell and I believe that with all my heart. But equally they believe that Christianity is spawned in hell and equally they believe that Christianity is Satanic; they even say America, which is a Christian country, is ‘the great Satan’.”
He cites the case of ‘Satanic Verses’ author Salman Rushdie in his defence – “because he printed the book, his life was threatened and he hid himself for a number of years”.
And he refers to French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, which saw its staff massacred by Islamic fundamentalists in January after printing a cartoon of Muhammed.
“My life was threatened after that,” he said. “The police phoned me a few days later and told me to watch myself and be careful.”
His church feeds and provides medical care to 1200 mainly Muslim children weekly in Kenya and Ethiopia, he says, insisting he bears “no hatred” for any Muslim.
And he is scathing of the decision to prosecute him, which he places on the same level as the recent civil action against Ashers Bakery in Belfast, which was found to have discriminated against a gay customer.
The court actions, he believes, are a move “against Christianity” and in particular evangelicals who “believe in the finished work of Christ on Calvary’s cross… that the blood of Jesus Christ, God’s son, cleanseth us from all sin”.
“I believe that passionately and I am standing up for that. I would denounce anything else contrary to that as Satanic.”
His solicitor, Joe Rice, said that his client originally attended Newtownabbey police station voluntarily for interview on June 6 last year, for possible public order offences related to hate speech.
“No charges have been laid under that order presumably because the evidential test for prosecution wasn’t met,” he said.
The crown case is that the sermon contained “grossly offensive” content, with an aggravating feature of “hostility” and “religion” which they firmly reject.
However this is setting a very serious precedent, he believes. “You can imagine people going to various different churches; they don’t like what they hear from the priest or pastor or reverend. They make a complaint to the police and the police might then find themselves obliged to investigate.”
The case will be heard in the magistrates court – the charges gave no option for a jury trial, he notes.
If convicted his client could face six months in jail and a substantial fine although there is also a right to appeal to the County Court in Belfast.
The preliminary hearing is on August 7 with the full hearing in November or December.