Hundreds of jobs are at risk at the 2 Sisters Llangefni chicken processing factory, it has been reported.
Union leaders have been called to a meeting at the 2 Sisters poultry processing plant at Llangefni on Monday to discuss potential redundancies.
Around 800 people work at the site, including a number of agency workers.
The company confirmed some roles were at risk of redundancy as it looked to “simplify” its business to sustain the quality of its products.
Perhaps this has more to to with the fact that in July of 2014 a safety audit of the Welsh chicken factory was ordered by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt following an investigation that uncovered alleged hygiene failings at two processing plants.
Could it be that following the scandal the major retailers cancelled their orders in order to distance themselves from any backlash? Our Food Industry needs to be more carefully monitored especially where Halal meats are concerned.
In fact halal meat production should be banned from the main stream food industry ,after all the UK and Europe are mainly non-Muslim countries .
Why should a minority group in our countries dictate what is available in our supermarkets and on our dinner tables ?
It is high time our governments stopped toadying to Islam and enforced compulsory CLEAR labeling of halal instead of hiding it under a load of confusing EU Numbers!
Many of 2 Sisters products are Halal certified.
A safety audit of a Welsh chicken factory was ordered by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt following an investigation that uncovered alleged hygiene failings at two processing plants last year.
Alleged incidents including a factory floor flooded with the guts of chickens and carcasses coming into contact with workers’ boots and then being returned to the production line, as reported by the Guardian at that time.
The newspaper said its report, related to allegations at 2 Sisters Food Group, of Llangefni, Anglesey, who supply fresh chicken and chicken for ready meals to supermarkets and farms, along with an abattoir owned by Faccenda, which supplies a supermarket and restaurants.
The newspaper said its report was based on undercover footage, photographic evidence and information from whistleblowers over five months relating to industry hygiene standards to prevent the contamination of chicken with the campylobacter bug.
Following the publication of the evidence, three of the UK’s major supermarkets – Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Marks & Spencer – launched investigations into their chicken supplies.
The most recent figures from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) suggested that 65% of raw shop-bought chicken was contaminated with campylobacter, the most common identified cause of food poisoning in the UK with symptoms including diarrhoea and stomach cramps.
Although cooking chicken properly kills the bug, it is responsible for more than 300,000 cases of food poisoning and 15,000 hospitalisations a year in England and Wales.
A Tesco spokeswoman said: “Providing safe food is our first priority, so we take these allegations of poor practice against one of our suppliers extremely seriously, and have launched an immediate investigation.
“Customers can be assured that we conduct our own stringent quality checks on fresh chicken received from suppliers before it is placed on shelves, so we can be confident that it meets our very high quality and safety standards.”
M&S said in a statement: “We take food safety very seriously and regularly audit all of our suppliers to ensure they meet our strict codes of practise.
“We do not tolerate any alleged breach of our standards and have launched an immediate investigation into these allegations.
“This is an industry issue that we are working with the FSA on and leading the industry on a comprehensive plan to eliminate campylobacter.
“We’ve provided advice for customers, launched new packaging for chicken and funded trials and projects on reducing campylobacter – all of which is independently monitored.”
A Sainsbury’s spokeswoman said: “Customers rightly expect our food to be of the highest safety standards and can be confident in the safety of products bought from our stores.
“We perform regular independent and in-house checks to ensure these standards are met and are investigating these allegations with 2 Sisters.
“All of our chicken products are labelled with cooking instructions and clear food safety advice.”
AS FOR THE 300 REDUNDANCIES?… MANY OF THE WORKERS MAY NOT EVEN BE IN THIS COUNTRY LEGALLY!(video below:)
Julie Wilson believes she contracted camplyobacter after eating chicken. She then developed Guillain-Barré syndrome, an autoimmune disease that can be a rare complication of campylobacter
“I fell ill on a Wednesday evening, within 12 hours of my son experiencing food poisoning. It happened quite quickly after eating a meal. We had very bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea, and felt hot and cold. I couldn’t hold anything in my system, even water.
“I called a doctor after three days. I gave a stool sample and on Sunday evening he rang to say it was campylobacter. I remember picking up the antibiotics and thinking that things would pick up, but they didn’t for me.
“By the following day, I was walking like a puppet. I had strange sensations and I couldn’t place my right foot properly. I thought I had just been lying on my back for too long and had hurt a nerve. The day after that I couldn’t get out of bed. Within the space of 24 hours the feeling of numbness and tingling had gone from my toes to my knees, and in the next 24 from my knees to my hips.
“I was admitted to hospital and they started treatment, but I was already completely helpless. I had double vision and had lost the ability to use my bladder and my hands. I was on a heart monitor and they were checking my chest muscles every four hours, day and night.
“Before campylobacter, I was perfectly healthy. I’d given birth to two healthy boys, I skied, I walked everywhere and I did Zumba classes. I took it all for granted, like most of us do.
“Campylobacter has left me disabled – that’s how people see me as soon as they see my stick. I can’t walk properly – I can’t stand for very long, wear high heels or run. I don’t feel properly from the hips down and my balance is quite impaired. I still go for a walk in the woods, but I have to look down all the time to keep my balance.”
Two Thirds Of Supermarket Chicken Contaminated With Campylobacter