Germany: Braunschweig parade halted over terror alert

Would-be revellers stand in front of police cars in Braunschweig, Germany, on Sunday after police in the northern German city cancelled the annual carnival procession shortly before it was due to begin over fears of a terrorist attack

The event was cancelled only 90 minutes before it was due to start and participants had already begun turning up7

A carnival parade has been called off at short notice in Braunschweig, northern Germany, due to the threat of an Islamist attack, police said.

A “specific threat of an Islamist attack” was identified by state security sources, they said in a statement.

Police urged people planning to attend to stay at home.

The parade – a well-known regional attraction – was cancelled only 90 minutes before it was due to start.

“Many people arriving at the train station were already dressed up and very disappointed – but we didn’t want to take any risks,” police spokesman Thomas Geese was quoted as saying.

Braunschweig’s Carnival parade reportedly draws around 250,000 visitors each year. More than 4,000 participants in fancy dress march down a 6km (four-mile) route through the city.

Karneval in Braunschweig

Braunschweig Mayor Ulrich Markurth (SPD) and parade marshal Gerhard Baller canceled the parade at short notice shortly before 11.a.m. (1000UTC) on Sunday. The spectacle had been due to begin at 12.20 p.m. local time.

The square is sealed off in Braunschweig, Germany, on Sunday after the annual carnival procession was cancelled shortly before it was due to begin over fears of a terrorist attack

Braunschweig’s main square is deserted after being sealed off by police

A woman dressed up for carnival talks to a policeman in Braunschweig, Germany, Sunday after the annual carnival procession was cancelled shortly before it was due to begin over fears of a terrorist attack

A woman dressed up for carnival talks to a policeman in Braunschweig, Germany, Sunday after the annual carnival procession was cancelled shortly before it was due to begin over fears of a terrorist attack…….The mayor called it a “sad day” for the city

The decision to call it off was taken by Mayor Ulrich Markurth and the parade’s marshal, Gerhard Baller.

“This is a sad day for our city,” Mayor Markurth told public broadcaster NDR.

“The assessment of the police however left us with no other choice.”

Large carnival parades and street parties are held every year in the week before Lent in Catholic regions of Germany.

The cancellation comes hours after Danish police shot dead a man they believe was behind two deadly attacks earlier in Copenhagen, though one German police chief was quoted as saying there was no link.

source : BBC NEWS

Advertisements

2 comments

  1. supajohnny

    F**king Hell Germany, you’re letting these sub-humans win. The Police and Army should have created a ring of steel. Costly, but History shows us NOT to give in to Bullies.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s