He apologized?….. He APOLOGIZED!…. CRAZY!
- Nick Robinson used the phrase hours after soldier Lee Rigby was murdered
- He has now apologised after the BBC received dozens of complaints
- He said he used the phrase while directly quoting a Whitehall source
The BBC’s political editor has apologised for directly quoting a Whitehall source who described the Woolwich killers as being ‘of Muslim appearance’.
Nick Robinson said he was sorry for using the phrase, which ‘was both liable to be misinterpreted and to cause offence’, during the BBC News at Six broadcast yesterday.
The corporation received dozens of complaints after he used the comment just hours after British soldier Lee Rigby, 25, was brutally murdered in the street.
Robinson today took to his BBC blog to apologise for using the phrase. He explains how he was informed by a senior Whitehall source just minutes before the BBC News at Six yesterday that the incident was being treated as a suspected terrorist incident.
He wrote: ‘The police had, I was told, described the attackers as being “of Muslim appearance” and shouting “Allahu Akbar“. On air I directly quoted a senior Whiehall source saying that the police had used that description.
‘That phrase “of Muslim appearance” clearly offended some who demanded to know what it could possibly mean. Others were concerned that it was a racist generalisation.’
The BBC received a total of 43 complaints after Robinson used the phrase, The Guardian has reported.
Robinson’s report was also picked up by other media organisations who reported it as evidence that the incident was a terror attack.
- BBC Reporter Apologizes for Telling the Truth About Muslim Beheaders in Woolwich (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- BBC political editor Nick Robinson says sorry for ‘murder cockerel’ tweet (metro.co.uk)
- BBC to consider recalling Nick Robinson early (eveningharold.com)
- The Woolwich Reaction (war0nwar.wordpress.com)